Appalachian Trail Experience 2006: Just Gene

My AT adventure began on 4/4/06 at Springer Mtn was completed on 8/6/06 at Mt Katahdin. I averaged 18mi/day with an average pack weight of 40lbs. I resupplied every 2 weeks via mail drops and spent lots more money on food along the trail. I took a total of 8 days off spending 6 of them with my wife. I'm looking forward to doing it again...a bit more slowly the next time...:)

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Preparing for the Big Day...

Evening all... Its the eve of the big hike and were having a pizza party at the Hiker Hostel www.hikerhostel.com in North Georgia. From L to R its Nathan, Steve, Miska, Me, and Loic. Nathan, Steve, and I will be heading out early in the mornin while Miska and Loic malinger about for another day or two enjoying the moment... I had a great trip down here with the plane, train, and finally truck to the hostel. We all were picked up by Josh, one of the owners here, who happens to be an X-ray tech with CT experience at "the" county hospital here. LOL...I would have never guessed the pay scale down here is the same as up there! Anyway, were all anxiously triple checking our gear hoping to cut down a few more ounces of weight before startin... I've whittled my pack weight down to about 33lbs fully loaded with fuel and water and hope tomorrow is as beautiful a day as today was.... sunny and 72degrees... eat your heart out guys... I wish everyone the best and hope to post here again ASAP... Later all...

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

luv u daddy. make to take a picture of big foot if u see him!!!

10:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nothing clever or witty this time. Just a wish of good luck & good traveling from everyone here in Mundelein. Stay dry and enjoy the experience.

Joe

8:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gene, I really wish that I could be by your side for this amazing journey. Know that you are in my thoughts, in my prayers, in my dreams and forever in my heart. I support you every step of the way. Hurry home. Love Always, Jackie

4:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home